Interview Exercise

 

The interview exercise we had to shoot in class was a great learning curve into how to edit sequences effectively.

I was a little challenged with this as Matt, Mel and I shot the interview quite simply without any different angles or any breaks to cut between as we didn’t really realise we would be editing it afterwards into a clip.

With this obstacle I found it hard to edit the clip as I didn’t know what to do with it to make it any different, or change it up. We also encountered a problem in that after we shot the footage we realised you couldn’t really hear Mel asking Matt the questions about his bike (this was most likely my fault as I was doing the audio for this clip, sorry guys!). After thinking about what I could do to turn our footage into a cohesive clip I finally came up with some ideas.

First of all I decided not to use any of Mel’s questioning, as unfortunately you couldn’t really hear what she was asking. Instead of using the questions we asked I edited three different parts of the 5 minute clip we made using three different parts with Matt discussing three different aspects of biking (we weren’t given a topic for the interview but Matt decided to grab his bike and chat about that).

Instead of using the questions I simply edited in a crossfade effect so it was clear to the audience that the interviewee was now discussing something different. I think this worked effectively as you can tell when the crossfade comes in that Matt has finished discussing one aspect of bike ownership and moved onto another.

I also zoomed in on one part of the video so it appeared we had taken the footage from a different angle. I think this also helped to emphasise when different questions were being answered and different topics were being discussed. It also helped in that it made the video a little bit more visually interesting, instead of just one shot of Matt from the same angle/distance the entire time.

Lastly I added a royalty free music track to the piece, just to give it a little bit more flow. I think this helped and I turned the volume down on the music track so it didn’t drown Matt’s voice out.

Overall I was happy with how the edit of the interview turned out. It was still a little rough but I think it turned out OK, and it was a great experience to edit it and learn how you can change things up even when you think you have no options.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s